Friday, August 10, 2012

Milano!!!

When I mention Italian food or an Italian restaurant here in the US, what comes to mind?  Maybe spaghetti and meatballs, fettucini alfredo, ravioli, tiramisu, a basket full of bread, and a shaker of powdered cheese?  If that is the first thing that you think of, then do your heart, soul, and taste buds a favor and immediately book a vacation to Italy!  Don't think about it, just do it and do it ASAP!!

After exactly two years of procrastinating, I booked my birthday trip to Italy and it was the best thing I could've done for myself.  It was a soul cleansing, eye opening, and heart warming experience.  The people I met, the sights that I saw, and the food that I consumed was life changing.

I arrived in Milan after taking the fast train from Salzburg.  By the time I arrived in Milan, I just wanted to unload my things at the hotel and walk.  So, when I exited the train and went to the street, I grabbed the first cab I could find.  Unfortunately, it was a gypsy cab and he took me, took me to my hotel and took me for a lot more than I should've been charged, but you live and you learn.  My hotel, at first I was a little concerned because it was on a side street, dimly lit, unmarked, but once you were at the door, it was very distinguishable.  The Palazzo Segreti is an amazing little boutique hotel with an incredibly helpful staff, spotless and modern rooms, and a fantastic morning cappuccino!  Once I got into my room, I didn't want to leave, of course that was after I figured out how to turn the lights on.  I dropped my things and wandered down to Duomo Square.  It was a beautiful sight, unfortunately surrounded by quite a bit of construction, but none the less, it was still breath taking.  I could go on about the sights, but you are here to read about food, so let's get on with that part!

                                                                   The Duomo

The day following my arrival was my 40th birthday.  As much as I wanted to, I didn't think I would be spending my 40th in Italy!  After my light breakfast of cappuccino and cornetti, I ventured out onto the streets of Milan, to wander aimlessly and see whatever I happened to come across.  I had no plans set in stone, I just wanted to wander, and wander I did.  And I just so happened to come across a food truck, not too far from the hotel.  The truck, Il Padrino was a pastry truck, which carried both sweet and savory pastries.  Of course, I couldn't pass this by without stoping and giving it a taste.  My first choice was the Arancini.  Now, arancini is saffron rice formed into a ball.  Before you form the ball, in the center of the rice, you put a little ragout of beef, which has been cooked in a tomato sauce, peas, and cheese.  You then form the ball, roll it in a bit of breading and fry it up and what you have next is a magical, tasty, pedestrian friendly treat.  I didn't bite into it, instead I chose to break it apart to reveal what was in the center and also to try to get the best photo I could.  The photo isn't the best, but you get the idea.  The rice was moist, the ragout was rich, and the cheese was, well, cheesy!  In fact, in order to get the best photo, I could've eaten a dozen or so, only for the sake of the photo though of course, but I refrained.  Now, to wash down this little treat, I also had to have something sweet, because it just wouldn't be proper to avoid dessert.  After studying the layout of the pastries, I went the safe route and went for the cannoli.  I was not disappointed in my decision.  The cream was not too light and not too dense, it was just right.  With the candied citrus on the ends, well, of course that validated the argument that this was actually a healthy dessert.

Arancini from Il Padrino

Cannoli from Il Padrino


After walking miles and miles, in really comfortable dress shoes, I was ready to head back to my room, clean up, and head for my birthday dinner.  By the way, a shameless plug for the guys out there, Kenneth Cole makes the most comfortable, walking friendly dress shoes in the world!  Now, I bring you dinner!  Now being surrounded by many restaurants, all of them packed, I wasn't sure where to go.  I didn't want touristy, I wanted homey.  I wanted to see Nonna sitting in the dining area, making sure everyone was well fed and had plenty to drink.  Although, I didn't find that, I did find, with the help of the staff at my hotel, a place that was warm and welcoming, with great food!  I bring you L'Osteria di Brera.  The hotel staff made reservations for me, so when I arrived, I was immediately seated and felt like I was home.  And I was welcomed with a complimentary glass of Prosecco and who wouldn't like that?  After glancing over the menu and still not having my appetite back 100%, I decided that I wouldn't do the full course Italian meal, but I would keep it light.  So for my first course, I had Riso Carnaroli con crostacere molluschi.  Essentially carnaroli rice(the style of rice) with shrimp, clams, and calamari.  This was not risotto and it wasn't soup, it was somewhere in between and it was great!  The fish was in bite size pieces, large enough to see and taste, but small enough to sit on your fork, with the rice, so you could get an adequate amount with each bite.  You could taste the freshness of the fish, no fishy flavor at all.  And the sauce had that fresh, bright tomato flavor which was complimented by a little fresh cracked black pepper.  And to follow that, I ordered the Branzino with grilled fresh vegetables.  Branzino is also known as Mediterranean Sea Bass, Spigola, or Ragno in Italy.  It's a mild, meaty white fish and is perfect for those who are not fish eaters.  This was a simple preparation, broiled with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.  The grilled vegetables, well, meh, they were just grilled vegetables.  I was getting comfortable now, so I was thinking ahead to dessert, and of course, I knew what that was going to be, Gelato!  So I cleaned my plate, like a good Southerner always does and just told my server that I was interested in their gelato.  I knew I was in for a treat when she told me that the chef had been playing around with the gelato and asked if I would be interested in trying his experiment.  Of course I would!!!!  So, she brought out a modest little cup with two scoops of gelato, a cannela creme and balsamic vinegar.  Cannella has a mild cinnamon flavor to it which complimented the bite that balsamic vinegar has.  But if you are a fan of balsamic vinegar, then you would flip over this gelato!  Of course, I could put balsamic vinegar or crema on anything or take it by the spoonful and be happy.  I felt honored to have this treat offered to me.  To finish off the meal, my server brought several glass containers of candy, which she serves all of her guests, and my digestif or limoncello, and that my friends was how I ended my birthday in Milan!

Riso Carnaroli con Crostacere Molluschi from L'Osteria di Brera

Branzino with grilled vegetables from L'Osteria di Brera

Cannella and Balsamic Crema Gelato from L'Osteria di Brera

More to come!!  Stay tuned.

Ciao!



                                                                       

6 comments:

  1. Gelato, Limoncello, pasteries, The food looks, sounds, and obviously tastes amazing. Any thoughts on some fabulous Italian eats in the city here?

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent!! Keep it going!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audra, I'd say Volare, Bar Toma, La Madia, La Scarola, Quartino, Piccolo Sogno, Osteria Via Stato, and Prosecco. I know, they are all downtown, but I haven't found anything close to authentic out in the neighborhoods, yet.

    And BlueFoxglove, thank you! Definitely more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No mention of a small electrical mishap? <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know anything about an electrical mishap. Not in Italy anyway:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need a recipe for Shrimp again, something with citrus?

      Delete