Monday, October 1, 2012

Chicago

I know I have the rest of my Italy trip to discuss as well as St. Louis, but I want to take a second to talk about Chicago.

It's been a bad year here, a very violent year.  I haven't seen any stats on how it's affected or if it's affected tourism, but I do here my friends discussing not coming to Chicago because of the violence.  But I want to reassure you that once you cross that magical border of I80 north of Joliet, you will not be dodging bullets.

                           

Downtown Chicago, The Magnificent Mile, The Loop, The South Loop, River West, River North, Greektown, Little Italy, The Gold Coast, Steeterville, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, etc are not bastions of gang violence.  But like any city, you still need to be aware of your surroundings.  Chicago has a booming art scene, restaurant scene, entertainment scene, craft beer, and coffee scene.  Come to Chicago, witness these things first hands, escape the downtown area and venture into the neighborhoods.  Take the El, take the bus, or take a cab and see things in Lincoln Square, stop by the Brauhaus for an Erdinger and great German food.  Maybe, stop by the Green Mill in Uptown and listen to some cool Jazz and have a cocktail at one of Al Capones old haunts.  Have a meal over on Randolph or Fulton Market at iNG, and enjoy the wonder of Homaro Cantu's imaginative kitchen staff or hit Mindy Segal's Hot Chocolate in Bucktown and enjoy her James Beard award winning food and obviously you must have dessert there.


                                       

So much to see here, so much to do, just don't be afraid to do it.  Now, I'm not saying that every neighborhood is safe, but I am pretty sure we all know where not to go.  And if you don't, then ask.  I am more than happy to send you in the right direction, and I'll even help get reservations because that's what I do.

                   
So, come to Chicago to discover that there is more here than deep dish pizza and Chicago style hot dogs.  Come and dig in and enjoy the things that are right under your nose.  Chicago is an accessible city that welcomes you.

                                       

Ciao, ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment